Friday, July 25, 2008

Robert Irwin's garden at the Getty

A couple of weeks ago I was in LA -- one of my prime goals for this trip was to see how the gardens at the Getty had grown in. When it was installed Irwin had said "see what it looks like in ten years". Coincidentally, (well, probably not) this is the Getty's tenth anniversary.

I've never been particularly fond of the museum itself, and I'm not familiar with the collection, but when I first saw the garden ~9 years ago, I enjoyed it a great deal. Irwin started out as a installation artist and it shows.

I have tried to find photos that capture it, but it really must be experienced: the views in every direction change significantly as you traverse the path.
Here's a shot from the Getty web site


a nice image from flickr



and two of the nicest ones from Paula Panich a writer/writing coach





who is coincidentally giving a writing workshop at the Getty in September.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Irwin's work at the Dia Beacon



which is also impressive albeit not as all encompassing, but much closer to those on the east coast.

1 comment:

mbuitron said...

Fully 60% of the people who visit the Getty never step inside the museum, so you're not alone! When I'm there to check out the garden, I try to stop in their photo and drawing galleries which have frequently changing exhibitions.

This Monday I was up at the Getty for the opening of the Bernini show, and I had the gardens all to myself. What a treat!

http://imoralist.blogspot.com/2008/08/robert-irwin-garden-at-getty-center.html